Monday 5 November 2012

Busy, busy, busy.


I’ve just finished reading a novel. That means I must have been on holiday, as that is the only time I get to read. We have just returned from a week in Scotland with friends and during the holiday there were various opportunities to sit quietly by the fire and read. As that scenario doesn’t occur often at home it was a precious time of relaxation and I have relished the chance to read. I love it when a book I enjoy also stirs thoughts that challenge the way I approach relationships and life. I find that Francine Rivers’ books consistently lead me to ponder and assess various aspects of my life. Leota’s Garden was no exception. Francine Rivers' books shine a light on relationships and lifestyle in such an insightful way.

I think the biggest effect of the book for me was igniting a desire for a simpler life. James and I just simply love getting away. James especially loves the mountains, I love to be beside the sea (side, beside the sea!) Why do we so appreciate the space and wonder of the rugged countryside? Can we bring some of the simplicity and freedom into our everyday lives? How has our family life become so hectic? James has a demanding job but he is in the right place at the right time so that doesn't seem to be the part to change at the moment. So looking at the rest of the family situation, what are the causes of busyness and stress? Well I have realised that I spend a lot of time taking the kids back and forth to after school activities. James and I really want to give our kids the opportunities, whilst they are young, to experience different hobbies to see which they enjoy. We had the best intentions when signing them up to these sports, dance and music activities and yet when I stop and think about the impact that these activities have on everyday family life it makes me wonder if we are doing the right thing. There is something about allowing our children to be children and to enjoy playing at home that is being lost in the to-ing and fro-ing of our busy weeks. My eldest said tonight as she was getting into bed that she never gets a chance to play with her teddies. Although this is not strictly true, I can see that with homework and the different activities in the week there really isn’t that much time to play.

I was thinking that maybe the Olympic fever had a bigger impact on me than I thought. I think I got carried away with the Olympic dream and the feeling that our children should be given every opportunity to be involved with sport. However, half a term in to swimming lessons, tennis lessons (which were requested but now hated) and dance lessons, I must confess that I am tired out with it all (and I think the kids are too!) I feel like we need to decide as a family if this is how we want to live life. I am hankering for a more simple life. Where we make more room for friends, play, bike rides, walks, games, books etc. I’ve made bread from scratch twice in 4 days and before that I’d never done it before. I always thought I was too busy!

Life is so busy. But am I busy with the right things? That is what I am churning over in my head at the moment. I want to spend more time with my oldest friends and want to spend time getting to know new friends. I want my children to have my attention and to feel loved by me. I want to go on more dates with my husband and to laugh more. I want to spend more time reading my Bible and reading novels too. I want to make bread and to make the blinds to go up in our bedroom. I want to visit my Nanny and take a trip to see my Nana and Grampa. Now I just need to work out how I am going to adjust my life so I can fit all this stuff in!  

1 comment:

  1. This is lovely Annie! Wonderful thoughts and way to put it into words! x

    ReplyDelete